Skip to main content

DILS Lakshmindra Sinha bares his heart

By DILS Lakshmindra Sinha

Regarding the topic “The Man Dils Lakshmindra Sinha” I have to say something which is given below. 

Thanks to Dils Debojyoti Sinha, for taking much interest on my works and activities. I know him personally as a learned and genius person. But he seems to be over conscious to pass his comment, contracting me, on the spelling of the name of my mother, “Juthi” and suggested the spelling to be “Jyoti”. In our tongue the two words are pronounced as “Juti”. But there is a difference in meaning – “juthi’ (in Sanskrit) is a flower of sweet fragrance (Jasmine), whereas ‘jyoti’ means light. In our Vaisnaba literature especially in Rasaleela songs and Basak songs Juthi is associated with Jadav ( as in the line “jadaba buliya juthi githia…” or “madhaba baliya gathe malati, jadaba baliya gathaye juthi” etc). It was an accident that my father, late Jadav Sinha married Juthi Devi (Sinha)( my mother) like one of my cousin Late Krishna Gopal married Late Radharani (sister-in-law).

Thanks to him again to bring into my memory other pen names and nick name etc., which are not in use for a long period. The bio-data, which I prepared on request, is meant for Mr. Sushil Sinha of Bangladesh. Mrs Anita found it suitable to paste in the newly designed Website “Bishnupriya Manipuri Writers Forum” as an experimental basis. The Website is going to be launched on 23rd instant.

In his writing, Mr. DJ Sinha highlighted me as an expert in many languages. To me it is an exaggeration. I don’t claim myself as an expert. I am simply a learner.

Regarding the Mahendra Memorial Foundation award he has further mentioned that “the Foundation award was presented to Prof. Monoranjan Sinha and a consolation prize to him( L.K.Sinha).” It is not correct and it may mislead the viewers/readers. It was an award of course (although I feel myself not worthy to receive such award or prize and I am not writing with the purpose to receive any prize out of writing). The citation was given as a “Manpatra” and not a Prize. The citation starts with the words – “The foundation feels honoured to confer a special award consisting of Rs. 3000.00 along with a chadar to Dils Lakshmindra Singha…..”. I did not join in any competition to have a prize organized by the Foundation so that they would offer me a consolation prize for my failure to have a main prize ( first, second or third etc) showing my excellence in the competition. However, there is a pain which I always feel in my heart that the organizers clearly mentioned to confer a Special literary Award’ in their invitation card (It is still in my memory that it was a simple unsigned letter typed on a white sheet, which was handed over to me when I made a personal visit to the organizer’s house at Silchar!) One week ago, before I received that letter, one day, Mrs Gitika Rani Devi ( the woman and the daughter of famous historian Mahendra Kumar Sinha who had played the key role for the formation of the Foundation) had made a telephone call from Pathaerkandi to me (posted at Guwahati) that they were going to present me the Foundation award and verbally invited for my presence in the meeting on 22nd Feb 2005. However, they have changed their decision later on and preferred to confer it to Prof. M.R.Sinha. I found their decision just and laudable. But the manner in which they conferred the special award was a chaos and graceful. I had accepted it only for the reason not to lower the dignity of Mahendra Kumar Sinha, the great hero of our past, to whom I owe my love, respect and gratefulness the most. At that time my sentiment of being a social worker prevailed over the sentiment of being a writer. However, I had expressed my displeasure to Simu Sinha (the grandson of M.K.Sinha). Here I seek to convey my humble request to the organizers conferring any kind of awards not to play with the sentiments of any writer.

In his writing Sri D.J.Sinha pointed out to a mistake and quoted the line “Lord Bishnu killed demon Murari"(Role of Feasts and Festivals in Bishnupriya Manipuri Culture-II and found it ‘flabbergasted’ and ‘tantamount’.

I wrote the original essay in Assameese ( to read before the multilingual audience of Sahitya Bharati’s monthly literary symposium ) which was published in a monthly journal “Satsori”. Ramlal Sinha, the executive Editor of the Sentinel translated it from my original text very sincerely and remodeled the essay in English(in my favour) to publish in the Melange (Sunday Special of the The Sentinel). I am grateful to Ramlal that he had taken much pain to do his considering the importance of the subject matter and showing his love and respect to me as a senior to him in age. He had shown me the translation before making it public. So, all credit goes to Ramlal if there be any merit in the subject matter of the essay. On the other hand, whatever the error in the work, none but myself only responsible for it. However, for the kind information of D J Sinha, I would like to say that in my original writing the line was “paramparagoto biswasmote (puranoto ullekh ase) murari (mur namor daityar ari) srihari bishnue ‘ekadoshi’ namere kanya ejoni sristi kori daityaraj muror binash korisil.” But the mistake done in translation can be ignored as a pen or printing mistake. The exact meaning of my original text should be – “Lord Bishnu or Murari killed Mura, the king of the demons". The word ‘Murari' means the enemy of Mura. However, I am thankful to D J Sinha for pointing out to rectify the error.

Comments

  1. Dear Rishi,
    There is a mistake in my letter. Please rectify it.
    In the first para the exact line should be "It was a co-incidence by accident that my father Late Jadab Sinha married....". In the 4th para the line be rectified as "But the manner in which they conferred............and not graceful." Here 'not' is missing before the word graceful. In the 6th para.."I am grateful to Ramlal.......to do his job..." Here the word 'job' is missing. Thanks.
    Yours uncle
    Dils Lakshmindra.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sir,
    i was informed that both you and DJ were childhood friends and i even witnessed that both you were very close friends in prime of your youth. i feel sorry to notice that cracks developed in such a sweet relationship. hope and wish that the misunderstanding and ill feelings between you will be over in near future.

    regards,

    prodip

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all love comments. It is moderated

Popular posts from this blog

Sri Sri Bhubaneshwar Sadhu Thakur

By Ranita Sinha, Kolkata Sri Sri Bhubaneshwar Thakur, the great saint of the Bishnupriya Manipuri Community was born on 26th October, 1871, in a remote village of Cachar district called Baropua in the state of Assam. He was born to a Xatriya Manipuri family. His father Sri Sanatan Pandit was a Sanskrit teacher and mother Srimati Malati Devi, a house wife. Sadhu Baba from his childhood was indifferent to all worldly happenings. He was engrossed in chanting the name of Lord Krishna. Along with other students of his age, Sadhu Baba started taking lessons of grammar and other spiritual literature from his father. At a very young age he lost his mother but he was brought up with utmost love and care by his step mother. At the age of eighteen, Sadhu baba lost his father, so, to continue his spiritual education under the guidance of Rajpandit Mineshwas Swarbabhwam Bhattacherjee, he went to Tripura. But within one year he made up his mind to visit all the holy places and as such he took permis

Assam Search Engine: Bisarok

Exclusive search engine on Assam Manash Pratim Gohain, TNN Jun 16, 2012, 01.46PM IST NEW DELHI: Assam got its own search engine ' Bisarok '. The search engine has been launched to get results exclusively on queries and information related to Assam. 'Bisarok', means 'to search' in Assamese language, has been launched and has been linked to various websites of the Government of Assam and departments, educational institutions and media. The search engine is likely to give a new online experience related to searches on Assam. Built on Google custom search engine, the search engine would be collating and building a database of web properties exclusively of the state in the North East region. 'Bisarok' has been developed by RK Rishikesh Sinha, who had earlier created a similar custom search engine ('Bisarei') on Bishnupriya Manipuri. According to Sinha, apart from Google there was no link to get results particularly on Assam. Any web entity related

A short history of the Bishnupriya Manipuri and their religio-cultural consciousness

Undoubtedly, the accurate period of the emergence or the development of religious consciousness of the Bishnupriya Manipuri is difficult to ascertain, but it is an old one that is undoubted, writes Rini Sinha , Guwahati . Religious beliefs are found virtually in every human society. Religious beliefs usually relates to the existence and worship of a deity or deities and divine involvement in the universe and human life. Religious knowledge according to religious practitioners may be gained from religious leaders, sacred texts or personal revelation. The development of religion has taken many forms in various cultural communities. The accurate period of emergence or development of religious consciousness of the Bishnupriya Manipuries is difficult to ascertain, but it is an old one that is undoubted. However, on the basis of the views of different scholars, pre-historic and historical remain whatsoever is available and from the logic of personal observations, we may put forward some view